BORIS Johnson today championed the free press after Meghan Markle’s victory in the courts was slammed – and vowed to “carefully” examine the implications of the ruling.
The PM’s official spokesman waded into the row to hail “the vital role that newspapers and the media play in holding people to account.”
Meghan yesterday won the latest round of her privacy battle against the Mail on Sunday who she sued for publishing a “personal” letter to dad Thomas.
Judges at the Court of Appeal threw out an appeal by Associated Newspapers – despite the Duchess of Sussex admitting she had herself briefed an aide about Finding Freedom.
The controversial ruling was blasted by royal commentators like Piers Morgan who said it was “beyond parody”.
And today No10 piled in: “We will study the implications of the judgments carefully.
“You’ve heard the Prime Minister say before that the free press is one of the cornerstones of any democracy.
“And this government recognises the vital role that newspapers and the media play in holding people to account and shining a light on the issues which matter to communities.”
The spokesman said he couldn’t say anymore because of ongoing legal issues.
Most read in The Sun
Associated Newspapers have said they’re considering an appeal in the Supreme Court.
Slamming the ruling, Morgan tweeted: “A responsive statement from Piers, The Earl of Exposing Princess Pinocchio B******t , will be published shortly.”
Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest updates
He posted the tweet alongside a statement Meghan released after her win where she accused the newspaper of treating the case as a “game with no rules”.
She added: “This is a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right.”
Meghan sensationally won the privacy row in February after it published extracts of the handwritten note to her dad.
She said the articles misused her private information, infringed her copyright and breached the Data Protection Act.
During the three-day appeal hearing, the court was presented with a string of sensational claims.
Meghan even issued an apology to the court for misleading them after suffering an apparent memory lapse when it was revealed she had briefed an aide over book Finding Freedom.
Other allegations centred around the letter she wrote her dad in 2018 that breached her copyright and privacy.
Meghan maintained previously she sent her estranged father the “heartfelt” five-page letter after they reached “breaking point”.
But in a fresh statement, she said she only wrote the 1,250-word note on advice of senior royals “A” and “B” after “significant pressure” was put on her and Prince Harry.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Click here to upload yours.