TWO teens have been charged after a war memorial was defaced during a pro-Palestine demonstration.
Police were forced to stand guard at the Cenotaph memorial in Rochdale after two incidents at the site this week.
The Rochdale Cenotaph was defaced on Tuesday night[/caption]
Demonstrators were said to have daubed “Free Palestine” over the war memorial on Tuesday in the second attack in as many days.
Protesters defaced the foot of the Cenotaph – which is dedicated to brave servicemen who gave their lives during the First World War – with the slogan.
Cops were then forced to patrol the area, while CCTV was set up.
Greater Manchester Police today said the teens had been charged with racially aggravated criminal damage – and one of them had an additional charge of theft.
Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Round said: “I hope the swift charges provide some reassurance to the public that our investigation is moving at pace.
“I understand the emotional distress that has been caused in the local community by the damage to the Cenotaph and our team of detectives will continue working tirelessly to hold those responsible to account.”
Anyone with information about the incident should contact GMP by calling 101 quoting incident 1294 of 07/11/23. Anonymous reports can be made via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online.Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.