A JACKET made for kids sold by River Island has been urgently recalled over fears it could put children at risk of choking.
The popular brand pulled Mini Girls Beige Suedette Biker Jacket from its site after it was revealed that parts of the item small enough to choke on may detach.
The silver stud rivets on the jacket could detach and put children at risk[/caption]
A recall notice issued by for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) stated that the biker jacket “presents a risk of choking as the silver stud rivets may detach”.
“When detached, these small parts present a
choking hazard for children aged 36 months and under,” it went on.
The beige jacket is made for children aged between six months to three tears old, while affected products were sold from July 2023 to December 2023.
Their recall “does not affect any other River Island product with rivet studs”, the agency added.
“If you have purchased this product, stop wearing the jacket immediately and keep it away from children,” the OPSS advised.
It’s not the only Christmas gift you many have purchased for your child or loved one that’s been recalled over safety fears.
From a popular perfume to toy cars, here are three more products pulled from shelves.
1. Super Car with Light
Impex Food’s Super Car with Light was urgently recalled after it was found the product “presents a serious risk of choking due to access to button cell batteries“.
Curious tots might pop the tiny batteries into their mouths is they fall out of a toy.
But once swallowed, these little coin-sized batteries can cause life-threatening injuries.
They don’t usually leak toxic chemicals, but they react to bodily fluids by releasing a substance like caustic soda that can burn through tissue.
You should take your child to the nearest A&E if you think they’ve swallowed a button battery.
Impex Foods recalled products sold since March 2022, with the following batch numbers:
The toycars with lights are available in blue, red and yellow, the OPSS noted.
It said: “The battery compartment of the products are not secured, allowing easy access to the compartment and button cell batteries.
“The batteries may be placed in the mouth and swallowed, presenting a choking hazard for young children and causing damage to the gastrointestinal tract.”
The agency advised parents who’ve bought the toy for their tots to swiftly confiscate it and keep it well out of the way of children’s reach.
2. Satzuma Plug and Go Disco Bulb
The Satzuma Plug and Go Disco Bulb sold at Boots was recalled over electrocution fears[/caption]
The plug-in rotating disco ball sold at Boots could put people “a risk of electric shock as the construction of the bulb and adapter elbow allows the user access to live parts”, the agency said.
Aldi’s Lacura His & Her Cozmo Eau de Parfum was pulled from shelves as a production fault made it likely the glass bottles would shatter[/caption]
Finally, a popular fragrance sold by Aldi was pulled from shelves, due to a production fault that could cause the glass bottle to shatter and put users at risk of cuts.
The Lacura His & Her Cozmo Eau de Parfum were both pulled from shop shelves as a precuationary measure, the OPSS said, and told users to be wary of bottles with the following batch numbers:
- AL/GSI/P23-4 (His)
- AL/GSI/P23-5 (Her)
Aldi said it had recalled all affected products from its stores.
Five warning signs your kid is choking
It's important you understand the signs and how to help your little one if they are struggling.
Here are the five you should look out for:
- Unable to cough
- Completely silent, no air, no crying, no speaking
- Making desperate attempts to breathe
- Clutching at throat
- Skin changing colour